Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wikipedia

Wikipedia is an interesting concept particularly in regards as to how it should support my learning design and pedagogy. I understand the various benefits associated with using Wikipedia as a collaborative e-learning tool in terms of the expanse of knowledge, resources, references and supporting links that the website offers (Wikipedia, 2009). This collaborative learning environment holds closely to Kearsley & Shneiderman's (1999) theory of active engagement where collaboration amongst peers (partcularly when technology is embedded) is citied as one of the key ingredients to learner engagement.

However, I have found throughout my teaching placements that the use of Wikipedia (particularly by senior students) is commonly discouraged. For the three senior classes that I am taking at the moment, Wikipedia sites are not to be used as a reference material for any of their assignments.
I guess this is largely due to the negative perceptions as held by teachers as they believe that the content contained on the website can be altered by anyone regardless of its academic quality. Personally, I find Wikipedia a good starting point when I require the fundamental knowledge or underpinning ideas regarding a particular subject that I am unfamiliar with.

References:
Kearsley, G & Shneiderman, B 1999, Engagement Theory: A Framework for technology-based teaching and learning, viewed 24 July, 2009, http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm.

Wikipedia 2009, Wikipedia: About, viewed 2 August 2009, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About.

No comments:

Post a Comment