Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Learning Management Systems

As stated by Wikipedia (2009), a Learning Management System (LMS) is software designed for delivering, tracking and managing training/education and holds a strong focus on collaboration.
Learning Management Systems have played a major role in my learning as a flex student as I have engaged with CQU’s Blackboard on a daily basis throughout my course of study.
I utilise Blackboard when tracking my course of study, undertaking online activities as set out by the course, collaborating with other flex students and lecturers and managing my own education.
The Blackboard LMS draws on those components as identified in Kearsley and Shneiderman’s (1999) theory of collaborative learning in terms of having to relate (communicate), create and donate (email, discussion forums) with other learners.

References:
Kearsley, G & Shneiderman, B 1999, Engagement Theory: A Framework for technology-based teaching and learning, viewed 24 July, 2009, http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

Wikipedia 2009, Learning Management System viewed 3 August 2009, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_management_system.

No comments:

Post a Comment