Thursday, August 6, 2009

My Flickr slide show!




Wow this Flickr thing took a while to get my head around! Once I had set up the account and had uploaded my photos I had to navigate between the Flickr website and my blog as to how to imbed this show. I finally got it working and am quite proud of myself :). I am now realising that with the world of e-learning it takes significant effort to initially get your head around the ICTs. However, once you correctly apply the procedural knowledge and achieve the desired result everything becomes much easier the second time!

I tried this a second time around after completing the image manipulation activity. I took the original photo of the leaves and manipulated it using the various tools on Picnik which I actually had lots of fun doing! I then had to embed the new HTML code into my blog so that it would show the new photo of the leaves that I added to the original show.

Prensky (2001) iterates that today’s learners are characterised as either digital natives or digital immigrants. Many of the students who I am currently teaching (particularly junior learners) are digital natives and have not known life to exist without the integral use of technology within society. As a digital immigrant, I believe that it is worth modelling certain technologies which students may be unfamiliar with 9Flickr) to demonstrate that you are keeping up with the technologies and can offer them a little variety in terms of introducing new technologies to them.

I believe that image manipulation is an important skill to promote in high school students particularly seniors who intend on progressing to university. At university we are continually having to submit assignments via email or digital drop boxes as and such there are size limits in regards to file size. Many students don't realise the size that a simple image requires and as such cropping/re-sizing images is an important technique to show students in preparation for univeristy/future employment.

Finally getting the hang of this!

Reference:
Prensky, M 2001, Digital Native, Digital Immigrants, viewed 20 August 2009,
http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment