Sunday, August 2, 2009

Google Earth


Google Earth is amazing! After having a play with this technology I managed to copy an image of my house into my blog. This photo was taken several years ago as there has been significant residential development to the left of this estate since. It amazes me the kinds of information available to us citizens. I remember hearing about the issues when Google Earth first started in regards to being able to view certain areas such as military training grounds. Not that I expected it to work but I still tried to look at the Shoalwater Bay Training Area north of Yeppoon-however this view was restricted and I was unable to zoom in on anything in particular.
As a SOSE/Geography teacher, I have already used Google Earth throughout my learning design. Google Earth is an excellent tool to develop students' spatial knowledge in terms of locating, identifying and deducing information from the site. It is a requirement of my Year 12s Geography assessment that they locate the correct image from Google Earth/Maps in regards to the location of field trip. I firstly went through/explained/demonstrated how to use this technology which essentially provided adequate scaffolding for the learners who are now expected to demonstrate their ability to use this technology in their assignments. By showing the students how to engage with this technology, I was conforming to Oliver's ICT Learning Design Model (1999) as I scaffolded the learning journey for them so that they were equipped with the knowledge/skills in terms of how to use the Google Earth tool for their assignments
Reference:
Oliver, R 1999, Learning Design: The Learning Design Construct, viewed 9 August 2009, http://www.learningdesigns.uow.edu.au/project/learn_design.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment