Thursday, August 20, 2009

Reflective Synopsis...or is this just the beginning?


As a somewhat digital immigrant (Prensky, 2001) who has embarked on this seemingly overwhelming learning journey which has required me to engage with a vast array of learning technologies, I now feel somewhat more of a ‘native’ in terms of interacting with and implementing a number of these prescribed e-learning tools.



I am currently undertaking my internship and as such, I was able to implement a number of these technologies into my learning design. This allowed me to see first-hand the application and adoption of these tools in an authentic classroom setting. The prescribed technologies that I have engaged with and embedded into my pedagogy that appeared to be the most effective included: ClassMarker and PowerPoint in terms of interactive quizzes, digital story telling, PowerPoint, YouTube, music, Media Fire and Slide Share. I have elected these learning tools as the most effective so far, only because I have seen the benefits first-hand in doing so. However, next year when I am in charge of my own group of learners, I most certainly intend to further experiment with these technologies particularly student-centred wikis and WebQuests.



In order to reap the full learning benefits offered by such technologies, I would aim to incorporate them into my learning design in accordance with Oliver’s ICT Learning Design Model. Oliver’s model (1999) fits in tightly with Marzano and Pickering’s (1997) Dimension of Learning 3: Extend and Refine Knowledge which is focused on developing students’ higher-order thinking skills. Oliver (1999) claims that when embedding ICTs into learning design, the pedagogy/activity should focus on real-world tasks that require the student to undertake some form of problem-based learning.


My current experience within the schooling system tells me that developing students’ higher-order thinking skills is a major issue that needs to be addressed if we are to produce critically-minded, capable and lifelong learners. Therefore, in order for me to develop these higher-order thinking skills in my learners, I need to be structuring ICT-based learning tasks around these models.



I am a predominantly face-to-face learner who likes to physically interact with a learning environment (paper, pen, people, and resources) and therefore, this concept of e-learning/blogging appeared quite daunting. I was somewhat apprehensive in approaching this task, however, I quickly learnt that I was not alone in my learning journey and had various opportunities available to me when seeking online support. This came in the form of online conversations with my lecturer (via email) and my peers (blog comments, email, discussion forums). It was refreshing to know that I was not alone on my journey as many obstacles that I faced were verbalised in the discussion forums.

My colleague's blog which I have engaged with throughout this course include:

Kelly’s: A work in (learning) progress (http://kellyojournal.blogspot.com/2009/08/wikis.html#comments),

Chenoa’s Journey (https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1906012510197685445&postID=3884920678049559620),

Amanda’s eLearning Blog Spot (http://amandawischusen.blogspot.com/2009/08/you-tube.html#comments),

Tony Middleton’s Welcome to my learning journey (http://tonytalk68.blogspot.com/2009/08/voicethread.html#comments),

Nari’s E-Learning Journey (http://narise-learningjourney.blogspot.com/2009/08/using-music-on-web-incompetech.html#comments)

Tanya (http://tanya-learning.blogspot.com/2009/08/slide-share.html?showComment=1250836344783#c8822557667990088941),

Jill’s E Learning (http://jillie89.blogspot.com/2009/08/integrating-technology-higher-order.html?showComment=1250836576734#c8026155705393956464)

My philosophy on e-learning technologies after undertaking this journey, recognises that no individual-learning tool can be deemed more effective than the others in terms of achieving improved learner outcomes. In order to reap the full benefits of the advantages offered by each technology, I would firstly assess my learners’ different learning styles according to Felder and Soloman’s (2009) Learning Style Quiz. I would then design my ICT-based learning experiences around these styles so as to better meet the needs of my learners. I would seek to incorporate a multi-modal approach which allows students to engage with a variety of the prescribed technologies. By adopting a multi-modal approach to ICT use in the classroom, it will harvest more significant rewards in terms of learner engagement and outcomes (Stansbury, 2008).



Overall, this has been a challenging yet positive learning experience and I look forward to putting into practice many of these e-learning technologies and conversing with some of you down the track in the teaching world. Who knows, one day I may be able to call myself a digital native :)

Signing off


Hannah

References:
Felder, R & Soloman, S 2009, Index of Learning Styles (ILS), viewed 20 August 2009,
http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/ILSpage.html

Oliver, R 1999, Learning Design: The Learning Design Construct, viewed 9 August 2009, http://www.learningdesigns.uow.edu.au/project/learn_design.htm.

Marzano, R & Pickering, D 1997, Dimensions of learning: Teacher's manual (2nd ed.), Aurora, Colorado: McRel.

Prensky, M 2001, Digital Native, Digital Immigrants, viewed 20 August 2009,

http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment